Do you hear odd noises coming out of your furnace? A common but very annoying problem, noisy furnaces usually indicate an internal problem within your HVAC system. It is often hard to detect what exactly that problem is, but based on the unusual noise that is coming out of the furnace, we can track down what the issue is.
Why Is My Furnace Making Strange Noises?
Furnaces can make a variety of sounds, some of which can be hard to decode. With our track record of experience in the industry, we’ve heard many sounds and have narrowed it down to about six general noises that could indicate the root of the problem. Because each noise can be traced to particular parts and systems in the furnace, it is easier for a homeowner to identify the trouble area.
- Grinding or metal on metal – grinding sounds usually occur when components in the system are either broken or very loose. Such sound is an urgent call because if left unchecked, it can lead to a breakdown and eventually a furnace replacement. We recommend calling a HVAC company as soon as you hear this strange sound in order to prevent further damage from occurring.
- Rattling – Rattling noises or the sound of metal vibrating typically point to something that’s come a bit loose, such as a loose screw. In fact, if you take a quick look, you might be able to spot a screw coming loose in your ducts or on the blower compartment. Luckily, this one’s an easy fix, and one you can do on your own.
- Loud whistling – A whistling sound usually occurs as a result of a restricted airflow. The sound is made by your furnace attempting to draw air and move it where it cannot exit, which forces air through any gaps or holes. To fix this issue, we suggest starting by replacing your air filter, but if that doesn’t fix the issue, then a furnace repair should be performed by a professional technician.
- Squealing noises – Squealing noises typically indicate a problem with the belt of your furnace. The belts on your furnace blower motor need to be replaced every so often. If not, they’ll start to wear down over time and begin producing a loud or persistent whining or squealing noise.
- Buzz or humming sounds – If you hear buzzing or humming sounds, we encourage you to contact a professional technician as soon as possible as this is usually an indicator of faulty electrical connections. It’s very important that you do not interact with such electrical connections, especially if you are not knowledgeable enough to handle it! This can cause a disaster if handled improperly. Just call us at (877) 848-4822 and we will send a technician over to handle this problem for you.
- Banging or loud pops from ducts – Bangning or loud pop sound often derive from your ducts, particularly when the system kicks on or off. This is just normal expansion and contraction causing the metal ducts to make noises as they move.
We hope that we have helped you identify the root problem of your noisy furnace. If you have attempted to fix the problem and still hear noises coming our furnace, we suggest calling a professional HVAC company to perform a close examination of your furnace in order to properly fix the annoying, irritating and consistent your Noisy Furnace.
Call us at (877) 848-4822 to schedule a service appointment or to receive a free quote.