As conscientious homeowners, we understand the importance of replacing our HVAC filters as recommended. However, there are times when our filters accumulate dust, hair, and particles much faster than anticipated.
If you’ve ever wondered why this happens, The common causes will be clarified, and valuable solutions will be provided in this post.
Common Causes of Premature HVAC Filter Clogging
- Pet Hair: If furry companions are in your home, their shedding significantly contributes to your filter’s rapid clogging. Regular vacuuming and weekly pet grooming can help alleviate this issue.
- Continuous Fan Setting: Your thermostat typically offers two fan settings: “on” and “auto.” When set to “on,” the fan runs continuously, passing air through the filter 24/7. Switching to “auto” can extend the lifespan of your filters.
- Extreme Temperatures: Harsh weather conditions like Momentum AC Services LLC can keep your HVAC system running constantly. In such cases, you may need to replace your filters more frequently until the seasons change.
- High MERV Rating: Filters with high Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV) ratings can trap smaller particles but tend to clog faster. Consult with your HVAC technician to find the right balance between air quality and filter lifespan for your system.
- Dusty Environments: Whether it’s dust from recent construction or accumulated debris in less-used rooms, unattended particles find their way into your filter if not regularly addressed.
Prolonging Filter Lifespan
Surface Vacuuming: If your filter appears clogged after a short time, try vacuuming its surface. While this won’t make it entirely clean, it can remove larger particles and extend its use for a few more days.
Air Purification: Consider installing an air purification system alongside your HVAC system. It can remove particles before they reach your filter, making it an excellent choice for households with allergies, respiratory conditions, or multiple pets.
Reusable Filters: Examine the possibility of reusable filters that may be washed with a garden hose or a vacuum attachment. These filters offer a cost-effective and eco-friendly solution.
Understanding why your HVAC filter clogs quickly is essential for maintaining a healthy indoor environment. By addressing the root causes and implementing the suggested solutions, you can ensure cleaner air and a longer lifespan for your HVAC filters.
Don’t hesitate to consult with your local Momentum AC Services LLC professionals for personalized advice and expert assistance.